9 March 2008

SHAHRIZAT: TIME FOR BN TO SOME SOUL-SEARCHING

The Sun Online
Sharon Tan and Husna Yusof

KUALA LUMPUR (March 9, 2008): Wanita Umno deputy chief and former women, family and community development minister Datuk Seri Shahrizat Abdul Jalil was beaten by Nurul Izzah Anwar in Lembah Pantai on Saturdayday.

“We have to do some soul-searching … nothing wrong with that. Parties go through rejuvenation and renewal. Barisan Nasional has to renew and reenergise itself. The people have spoken.”

Commenting on the overall election results, Shahrizat said: “There is a wave around the country. As politicians, we should not take this as a setback or give up. I understand this is a signal from the rakyat. You never know, we may make a comeback.

Politicians never say die. But I accept the message they are sending.”
Asked if the results of the election showed that BN has lost touch with the people, Shahrizat said: “No.”

“I don’t think that’s right. We are always with the people. I think there were one or two things that people wanted us to change but we didn’t. Some issues we should have taken seriously. We have to analyse [the results] after this.”

Shahrizat, who served as Lembah Pantai MP for 12 years, said she had worked really hard to change the constituency from a sleepy hollow to a metropolitan place.

“But now I have lost not only the constituency but the people as well.”

On her future, Shahrizat, a trained corporate lawyer, said: “I have enjoyed politics but I have life outside.”

Nurul Izzah, a daughter of former deputy premier Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim who is now de facto Parti Keadilan Rakyat leader, said: “I thank Allah and all my supporters who have worked very hard for this victory for PKR. This result clearly shows that the Lembah Pantai electorate have embraced changes, signaling the sense that they want a better future for all Malaysians. We can give a better future for all of us.”

Asked whether there will be a by-election later to vacate her seat for her father, she said: “This is my win and you should allow me some time to celebrate with my supporters and plan the future for my supporters.”

Nurul polled 21,728 votes for a 2,895-majority win against Shahrizat’s 18,833 votes. Independent candidate N. Periasamy received only 489 votes.

No comments: